Small-scale farmers’ willingness to adopt chemical-free inputs and engage in collaborative arrangements –A discrete choice experiment in Central MexicoCastillo, Sergio Colin; García, Naím Manríquez; Martinez Cruz, Adan
Objetive: Explore small-scale Mexican farmers’ willingness to adopt chemical-free fertilizers and pesticides, and to engage in two collaborative arrangements. Methodology: A discrete choice experiment has been designed based on two non-monetary attributes (use/no use of chemical inputs and two collaborative arrangements) and a monetary attribute (percentage change in price of crop that generates most of net revenues). Data has been analyzed with a two-class latent class logit specification. Findings: 60% of respondents is not willing to transition to a chemical-free input regime, is willing to receive management support from municipality, and is not interested in a shared insurance. On the opposite side of the preferences, 40% of respondents is willing to adopt chemical-free inputs, is not interested in management support, and is willing to participate in a shared insurance. Limitations: Our sample is not nationally representative, and further studies are needed to corroborate and generalize our findings. Contribution: This is the first study exploring whether preferences of small-scale farmers in Mexico align with Federal government’s goal of phasing out glyphosate. Conclusions: With 40% of small-scale farmers willing to adopt chemical-free inputs, if the Federal government wants to convice the other 60% of phasing out glyphosate, a possibility is to implement a slower strategy that starts with providing management support. Once management support is in place, and trust is gained, doors may open for a transition to chemical-free production regimes.
KeywordsChemical-free inputs; collaborative arrangements; discrete choice experiment; latent class logit; small-scale farmers; Mexico
2022, volume: 19, number: 2, pages: 1-20
UKÄ Subject classification
URI (permanent link to this page)