Skip to main content
Research article - Peer-reviewed, 2014

Evaluation of microsatellite-based genetic diversity, protein and mineral content in chickpea accessions grown in Kyrgyzstan

Torutaeva, Elnura; Asanaliev, Abdybek; Prieto-Linde, Maria Luisa; Zborowska, Anna; Ortiz Rios, Rodomiro Octavio; Bryngelsson, Tomas; Gustavsson, Larisa


The genetic diversity of 23 chickpea accessions representing Kyrgyz landraces and cultivars, ICARDA breeding lines, Spanish and Turkish cultivars was characterized using nine microsatellite (SSR) markers which generated a total of 122 alleles. The number of alleles (Na) per locus varied from 9 to 20. The observed heterozygosity (Ho) ranged between 0.05 and 0.43 (average 0.13) whereas both the expected heterozygosity (He) and polymorphic information content (PIC) ranged from 0.71 to 0.90 (average 0.83). Analysis of molecular variance (AMOVA) showed that 62% of the total genetic variation was found within accessions while the remaining 38% was found among accessions. Principal coordinate analysis (PCoA) indicated the presence of two groups. The two Kyrgyz cultivars were found apart from these groups. Cluster analysis generally confirmed the results of PCoA and also separated the Kyrgyz cultivars from the subcluster formed by Kyrgyz landraces and the subclusters formed by breeding lines from ICARDA along with landraces from Turkey and Spain. In addition, protein content and mineral concentration were determined. Protein content and mineral concentrations for Ca, S, Mg, P, K, Fe, Mn, Cu and Zn varied significantly among accessions. The results show that Kyrgyz germplasm provides a source of diversity for improvement of chickpea.

Published in

2014, Volume: 151, number: 4-5, pages: 81-90